Sunday 23 March 2014

Re-grouting kitchen DIY

We had very busy weekend. We finally re-grouted our kitchen. When we bought our house we have known that it will need number of DIY projects. We already did most of them and re-grouting kitchen was one of the last.
We got some experience with re-grouting our bathroom and I have to say doing our kitchen was so much easier.
I think that previous owners used one of these whitening grout pens and over the time it went really bad and started to flake. It was hard to remove it but once we did it grout was under it quite healthy.
So first we cleared out our kitchen and then spent about a day removing flaking grout.



It was messy job. Tiles around our sink were literary falling down. I have numbered them and removed most of the grout from them. We had only one accident when tile fell of and broke.
This tool was from Screw-fix. Very cheap and it is all what you need for a job.


We split the kitchen with my husband in half. I did the side with sink and my husband the side with hob.


We also bought grout from Screw-fix and I got these yellow plastic spatulas from Wilkinson. Re-grouting is not expensive on tools and materials but it makes so big difference in looks.



Putting grout back was also very messy. First we put grout between the tiles with yellow spatulas then removed most of the grout from the tiles and then wiped it with wet sponge. In the end polished it with dry cloth.


I had to in the end remove about 13 tiles. They were not holding on the wall properly. So I was slower then my husband.


 Putting the tiles back was not so bad and I think I did very good job even without any experience.




 This is our newly remade kitchen!


 It looks so much better and cleaner!



Look at that grout! I was so happy that it looks so bright and it makes our "old" kitchen so much smarter. It took us only 1 day.


On Sunday morning my husband finished it with brand new silicon around the edges. He did it when I was still in the bed :-)  Thank you!
Now we have to only wait about 36 hours before the silicon is dry! Unfortunately we bought the slow drying one.



No comments:

Post a Comment