Tuesday 7 January 2014

Welcome Reader,

Home in Surrey is a blog about our DIY, garden, cooking and simple living in drafty Victorian cottage in Surrey.

We have bought our first house in November 2012 so why I didn't start this blog then? As first time buyers we had our hands full of mortgage and legal documents and them moving, redecorating, cleaning, fixing and buying most of the furniture. After all of that adopting our lively cats from rescue centre and then 5 moths later getting married abroad.

So much happened in last 13 months that I wanted it somehow record it. I have really memory of gold fish so after reading a lots of lovely blogs I got this bright idea that maybe writing my own blog will solve it. 

I like to live simple and frugal. If I don't need something than I don't buy it. If I can make something cheaper than buy it I will made it and if I can grew it in our small garden than I will. I am a little bit of workaholic so my type of relaxing is ironing in from of TV or sewing some cushion or just cleaning.

My last "project" was building two shelves in the master bedroom cupboard. Mainly just for my shoes :-).
When we moved a year ago. I have bought a lots of these transparent plastic shoes boxes.
They were OK for some time but then they started to get squashed and my cupboard looked like big pile of plastic and shoes. So armed with my new screwdriver ( got it from my husband's parents :-)  and some left over loft boards I actually build my first shelves.


Firstly I have measured floor boards. I needed two for one shelf as boards were not wide enough.



Then I have measured small pieces of wood for "brackets" and screw them to the walls. Luckily no brick walls there. And then I have slide in the shelves. It fitted! 



 Finally I have painted brackets white and then put some oil cloth on top boards to make them look pretty. Floor boards aren't so smooth as MDF so I have covered them. Easy to clean too.



Please note that all fitted and painted with my clothes in. I couldn't be bothered to move it. There was already piles of shoes on my bed! :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment