Thursday 9 January 2014

How toxic is your make-up?

Today morning when putting on make-up after a GYM there came a girl to the mirrors to put hers on. I couldn't resist to not to look at her make-up bag. It reminded me how far I have came with my non-toxic, natural and even organic views on all cosmetics & cleaning products.

Her bag was full of these fancy and expensive cosmetics. If she only knew that they contain quite a cheap, harsh and sometimes dangerous chemicals. I have been like her about 5 years ago.
It changed when I have bought moisturizing face cream from Waitrose. 5 minutes after applying it my face was on fire. I got really bad allergic reaction and my skin from my face was literary pealing off in strips. It took almost 2 weeks for my skin to heal. I looked like I sunburn my face. Meanwhile I researched what was I allergic to. This cream was very ordinary having ingredients very similar to other face creams. It wasn't even very full of different ingredients. List was surprisingly short and I was allergic to its preservatives.


After reading a lot of books & blogs about toxic cosmetics I have just put all my make-up, shampoo, shower gel, toothpaste and all of cleaning product in the bin. Stopped colouring my hair and painting my nails. I didn't want to live with hundreds of chemicals around me.


Book about toxic cosmetics
I carefully bought only a minimum of natural & organic cosmetics. Who needs mouthwash anyway when you can just use dental floss? I really don't need bottles and bottles of conditioners and shampoos. One shampoo will clean my hair and for the rest nice natural bar of soap will get me clean. I don't need hundreds of eyeshadows and 5 different mascaras.

Suddenly I had only 1 small make-up bag with all what I needed and used. Bathroom is not clattered with bottles and I know that products which I use will not give me in 20 years cancer. When I buy some product I actually look at the back and if I don't recognise or even I am not able to pronounce its name I will not buy it.

My make-up bag
Buying organic is more expensive than buying high street products but that is OK. I like to know that product which I am buying has good natural ingredients which unfortunately aren't cheap. In the end I have actually saved money. I buy less but I buy quality products.

My face cream & lip gloss is Organic Virgin coconut oil ( the best natural moisturizer ). I like make-up from Lavera, Inika, Nvey and Green people. Good low price shampoos & creams & toothpastes are from Urtekram. Bentley Organic has good soaps and if I want something really nice and British I will buy from Pure nuff stuff. They even do natural self tanning cream!
I have even tried to do my own soap. Organic Virgin Coconut oil & lemon essential oil and for a few pounds I have supply for next 2 years. Easily done and no any toxic ingredients.


 
natural & organic cosmetics





my homemade Organic Virgin coconut oil & lemon essential oil soap

No comments:

Post a Comment