Thursday 16 January 2014

Saving it - our thrifty ways

We try not to spend on staff which we do not need. I like Money Saving Export mantra.
Do I need it? Can I afford it? If answer is no I will not buy it. Sometimes small change, for example not buying coffee in the morning can add up to a big saving. Saving which can go towards mortgage, holiday or just into the saving account for the future.
We do number of our own saving:


1. I do my own cosmetics I love my homemade make-up remover. Mixed virgin olive oil + organic beeswax + some myrrh for preservative. I make my deodorant, which works perfectly and it is organic.  Also I have made batch of soap which will last me for next 2 years.

2. Free reading. We both go to the library. I just love reading and can read up to 3 books a week. Buying them will be big expense. Also I am downloading free books on I-Tunes and then reading them on my phone.

3. Batch cooking. When I do a dinner I usually do more than just 2 portions for us. Cooking for next day dinner will save time and electricity + gas spending.   Sometimes I make a big pot of stew and freeze  individual portions. It is our version of quick food.

4. Lunch box. Both of us always take a lunch box to the work. 

5. DIY. We try repair our house yourself. I have build shelves, we re-grouted  bathroom, isolated and boarded loft, renovated our Victorian front door, did all the painting and our friend helped us with wallpapering.

6. Reusing. We reuse all glass jars. I use them for freezing our batch cooking, as vases, for left over paint or just for used cooking oil so it will not get down the sink. I have reused cotton rug for cat rug under their food ( from 1 big I made 4 small). I have made nice hand painted cushions from old curtains

7. No car days. I try not to use car when not necessary. I go to the library and have a nice walk. It will keep fuel in my car and it is nice to get some exercise.

8. No spend days. Sometimes I have week when I don't buy anything but food from supermarket. In the beginning I have written down all spending in the week and it will add up. I didn't realised how much I have spend on not necessary item.

9. Grow your own. Last year I have tried number of vegetables and some did better than others. Unfortunately slugs + snails love our garden and sometimes growing some veg (carrots & parsnips) is not worth it. On other side my beans, peas and tomatoes did very well and I still have a lots of it in the freezer + we just eat our last tomato chutney.

10. Clever shopping. When doing our shopping list I always look on "my supermarket" and check what is on offer. I have bought washing liquid for half price and I have bought a lots of it to last us until next offer is on :-). If you have a space it is good idea to stock up on items which you use often. Especially if they can last for a while or can be frozen.

11. Staying at home. We do not go out very often.  We like to do house parties. It is much cheaper to invite friends over for a drinks or for a dinner than to go out.  We still see our friends and have a fun but without the big bill.

12. Entertain yourself. A lots of people I know go for a shopping every Saturday. They do not need anything it is just because they do not know what else to do!!! It is so easy to then spend on stuff which you do not need. I have always a list of stuff to do. From cleaning to playing with my cats to going just to the library.





No comments:

Post a Comment