Monday 13 January 2014

Sunday dinner: Pork parcels

We are thrifty shoppers. I always ask if I need something before buying it. We are very careful about food shopping. It is so easy just put something in the trolley. My husbands weak point is condiments. So I always try to have them used before buying more. Another big expense is meat. Prices of beef are around £15 per kg! Cheapest meat what I have found is pork. I buy pork chops for £6 per kg and with occasional promotion I can find them even for £4 per kg. I then buy a lots of it and just freeze it.

Our Sunday diner was: Pork parcels




I always cook on Sundays 2 portions more so we can have it on Monday too without spending time and gas & electricity on cooking.

Ingredients:
2 x pork chops £2
Potatoes (half bag) £1
Broccoli (half) £0.16
Runner beans (homegrown/ frozen) free
1 onion £0.18
2 organic eggs ££0.72
salt, pepper, paprika, olive oil, Dijon, 2x gherkins approx. £0.15

Cost: £4.21 / £2.105 person

Receipt:
All pork chops tenderise, add salt, pepper and Dijon mustard. On each put piece of hard boiled egg + slice of gherkin. With thread make a little parcels. I like to use black thread so I can later see it and take it off.


Put in the pot with chopped onion and add water. Cover the pot. I usually cook it for about 1 hour on 180C or until meat is soft.

 I serve it with baked paprika potatoes. Just cut them on pieces cover with olive oil, add salt, pepper and paprika and put in the oven for 1/2 hour.


I always try to use oven for more than just a meat. It saves some money on electricity.

In the end I just added some flour to the meat sauce and made a gravy.
 
Served it with broccoli and my homegrown runner beans and a glass of mulled wine :-)


It was yummy and just £2.105 per serving.

No comments:

Post a Comment