Wednesday 25 June 2014

Sealing Victorian quarry tiles

We have a Victorian quarry tiles in our house! 

Yes, not really inside as they are in front of our door and there are just a few of them. :-) Never less I am spending a lots of time a week with them. They need proper scrubbing every Saturday as the dirt goes inside of them. They have a little of wear especially the middle ones. I thought that if we seal them then they will look better and also they will need just a wipe dawn and not scrubbing every week.
Our front door looked like this. I have already painted them and also did a little design on our door mat. You can but see the tiles having different colour + texture as they are just used.

 


I have bought this protector. It cost about £20 with shipping so not the cheapest of products. I just wanted to use the right staff on our 134 years old Victorian tiles.
 

First I have properly cleaned our tiles and then leaved it to dry for about 3 days. They need it! As they are very, very absorbent. Then I have cleaned them again but with only dry cloth. The instructions say apply with roller but we have only 1m x 1m of them so small brush did better job.
Application was very easy I just painted it with it. It doesn't smell and it has consistency almost of water.  



It dries in minutes. To be honest I really didn't see big difference after the first coat. The tiles didn't look any shinier or newer.


I gave it another proper coat.



This is after the second coat dried. Hmm ... not any bid difference.


You can only see it has protective coat when water will get onto them. I am a little bit disappointed. I was expecting some improvement in colour. I hope that next week cleaning will be easier and dirt will not get inside of them.


No comments:

Post a Comment