Monday 23 June 2014

How to clean a sisal rug - DIY

We have this sisal runner in dining room. It is the only thing between outside dirt and our cream carpets. Unfortunately we do not have any front hall or corridor. You open front door and it goes straight in the dining room.

I have bought this runner about 18 months ago when we bought the house and just after I have cleaned all of our carpets. :-)

It has good colour which will hide the dirt but it was slowly starting to show it.




It wasn't expensive so any professional cleaning will be just too costly. I have decided to give it a go with DIY cleaning.
I have used for it just a hot water a little bit of Ecover washing liquid and small hand brush.
 

The runner has a untislip backing so I was trying not to use too much water as it could take ages to dry it out.


 It went surprisingly quickly and in about 15 minutes runner was scrubbed!


I have to be inventive with space as our garden is tiny. I have plants everywhere so that is why I used Ecover washing liquid.


All done and after 24 hours of drying it was proved good for use! :-)


I am quite pleased with it. I got a new looking runner. It didn't cost us anything and also we didn't need to throw away stuff which still have a lots of wear in it (very ECO :-).
The scrubbing it a little also made the runner look more thick.

I will probably not try to DIY clean any large or expensive rug but if your are thinking about throwing it out because of dirt then scrubbing it by hand could save it.


No comments:

Post a Comment