Thursday 15 May 2014

Slug resistant plants

I had to plant my french dwarf beans again. They got eaten by slugs & snails.  Also a few broad beans too. Due to my cat digging them out.
I used slug pellets (the cat friendly ones) but still slugs manage to eat my plants and veg.
I have a few plants which slugs & snails  and even caterpillars will not touch. I though that I will help fellow gardeners with my experience.



Slug & snail resistant plants:

  • Heuchera - I have one with purple leaves and which flowers white. Slugs will not eat it at all. Also no problem with caterpillars.
  • Periwinkle - very good plant for shade. My plant now flowers. Not any sort of problem with this plant
  • Muscari Hyacinth - This pretty little plant is quite happy in my garden and there are no any signs of being eaten. It is surprising as my other hyacinth are completely gone
  • Euphorbia - another good plant for shade. Very resistant to everything. Top leaves looks like a flowers.
  • Cornish lily (Nerine) - this is autumn flowering plant. I have big clumb of them with lots and lots of long leaves. Slugs and snails will hide there but not any damage to the plant.
  • Rose - I have very pretty and very illness resistant rose. It is "warm wishes" and flowers salmon pink - purple pink. The colour changed with age of flower.

  • Campanula - this plant will grow anywhere. When in good sunny spot it can grow quite quickly. Has pretty blue flowers. 
  •  Rosemary - this herb is very slug resistant. Only it can get the rosemary bug. You will know if your plant has it as new leaves will be nibbled off.
  •  Chives - I like this herb. It looks good in my garden and also you can have it in the sandwich. :-) 
  • Curry plant - with its pale leaves is very nice looking next to the dark plants
  • Parsley - this herb will survive anything. Also looks good in winter. I have two types of them. One with curly leaves and other with flat.
So that is all of the "no problem" plants in my garden. I will have some hunt in the Homebase for more.







No comments:

Post a Comment