Friday 9 May 2014

It is growing & revamp of garden

Finally my tomatoes, peas and french beans started looking up. Strawberries are flowering and my irises are beautiful. Our lemon tree is sprouting. I have planted also some garlic this year. Only two big pots. It is garlic from Czech so I hope it will be more resistant. It has for sure stronger taste. We already used that odd one which I couldn't fit in my pot. :-)

Tomato plant
Pea and garlic

French dwarf bean
Strawberry
Lemon tree
Iris


I am quite sad about my broad beans. Poor things lost against my cat Meowgi. He likes to dig holes in my veg border (and then treading on our cream carpet with muddy paws)  and from 8 broad beans plant only 2 are still alive.

Hole from Meowgi
Destroyed broad beans
So I have planted more and will put some bamboo sticks around to protect them. I have also cut the grass for first time this year. I know quite late but our patch is small and grass is young.

I am still fighting with slugs and snails (sometimes a caterpillar will show up). I go there every day and look for them in their favourite hiding places. It is surprising how many of them are in our tiny garden. I have bought some pets friendly slug pellets too so I will have some help. I had to dig out some of my plants /flowers and put them into the pots. They are recovering at the moment. I would not believe but slugs can eat even Dead nettles!

Dead nettle - slug damage


 
 


As per my previous post you know that we are revamping our garden + back of the house. Next stage is fixing our gate or maybe buying new and reusing the fittings (I can respray them black). Then we are thinking about installing some willow screening at the back. The fence doesn't look very nice there and we can't change it because it is our neighbours fence. Also we were thinking about painting it, in the end we decided that it could create more problems (spillages and angry neighbours).

So new gate and some willow screening is next. Maybe if I can get my husband agree also staining our fake train sleepers.



No comments:

Post a Comment