Monday 12 May 2014

Radiators revamp - painting

Our house has this really big list of small jobs to do. You know that kind of work which can wait, but has be be done. We are at the moment getting some quotes for a new boiler. It never is only new boiler. We need new flue, power flushing, new radiator new TRV valve. Also we do not have access to our small extension loft so we have to do loft hatch to. We have to change 1 radiator because is really slow (probably full of muck). Rest of them are just old and scratched. In need of some TLC.
This Sunday was very rainy day so no time for garden and perfect day to paint our radiators.

They looked like this before.




Old "dirty" radiators with paint flaking off.



 I bought this paint from Ronseal. It is low VOC. Means it doesn't smell of white spirit. Also It dries very quickly. Very important if you are painting radiators in your bedroom!


So firstly I have cleaned our radiators. Used long bamboo stick and thin cloth. I have to put in in all of the radiators little pockets. It took ages! I would not believe how much dust was inside.
Then I have sand papered all of the flaking paint and then painted them.
I was not very sure about the paint at the beginning. It was a little watery and I could see my paint strokes! Old paint was showing but after a few minutes it sorted itself and paint strokes were not visible. Overall I would recommend this paint. It doesn't smell it is easy to use and very, very white. I had to do 2 coats for it to be really covering but this small tin could paint about 10 radiators. I used just a tiny bit of it. Best of all cleaning of brushes was very quick. Just use hot soapy water and done.

Here is one of our radiator after.



This is our bedroom with our super white radiator. Very bright isn't it? :-)

 

No comments:

Post a Comment