Wednesday 30 April 2014

Easter holiday in Czech

We are back! We went to Czech to visit my family. It was first time my husband experienced Czech Easter.
Firstly we were lucky that weather was beautiful. Sunny and warm. This is the field behind my parents house. Pretty isn't it?




Everything was so green and flowering. I like my mums tulips.







So back to our Easter. We have to colour some eggs for children. There are 2 kinds of colouring in my parents area. You can use  food colouring or onions skins ( they will turn white eggs nice chocolate brown colour).



 My husband was colouring eggs with food colour. It is easy. Just some colour + salt + very hot water and then put hard boiled egg in for a few minutes.


Meantime Rob was destroying some damaged eggs! They were tasty. :-)



When they are dry we put some simple pictures on and then then polish them with bacon.
All done!

I was doing the onion skin eggs.
Firstly get some nice greenery and then stick it on non boiled eggs and tie piece of tights around it (I usually keep some damaged for it). It will hold it in place. Then just peal onions (about 5) and put in the pan with some water and set to boil. Put eggs in for 10 minutes. Then remove all greenery + tights off and polish with bacon.




Nice chocolate looking eggs.Very organic + eco colouring without any chemicals and also very cheap.

Also my mum got some hey decorated eggs from Moravia (part of Czech) these are without any egg inside. So we keep them for decoration. Really small and very precise pieces of hey are just glued on. It is done by hand and take ages to do!


Then there is this tradition about willow sticks. All males has to braid some willow sticks.
My dad was showing my husband for first time how to do them. He was braiding and I was holding.




They are made from 8 willow sticks and braided together. You can also add some nice basket (decorative handle).


 And my husband with his firs Czech willow stick.
Add caption


No comments:

Post a Comment